Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 3 16:59:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 11:43 -0500, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> In the interest of getting back to the topic at hand (How to fix spins and what is the project's position on them,

> not How to Dissect Who is Following the Schedule Properly), I will do my part to help fix part of Spins by taking

>  this part (the schedule part) of the thread over to the design-team list and making sure that we have the appropriate

>  dates in their schedule so that EVERYONE can be on the same page, and make sure that deadline is called out loud and clear every cycle.

The point is that, as has already been pointed out, focus is good when
you have limited resources. If we have 50 spins and all of them
request artwork, is it reasonable to expect the design team to
create that artwork? (I don't think so.)

Just putting a deadline on the schedule doesn't mean we will
have time or resources to make it happen. Furthermore,
advertising such a deadline to me seems to be soliciting requests
for work that there aren't resources to complete. It's kind
of false advertising, you know, 'hey submit your requests by this
date!', then 'oops haha we can't do it, sorry.'

Talking to people and being reasonable when making requests
of them (sugar vs vinegar... recruiting rather than DEMANDING) is better
than pointing at procedures and deadlines.

And absolutely agreed hashing out Spins' place within Fedora is going
to be more helpful.

~m