Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:01:34 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 06:04 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:52 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> >  I think we can keep in mind the 'do we prioritize some spins' discussion
>> >  here too. Requiring artwork group to create/help create artwork for
>> >  every spin there is (especially given that that set can theoretically be
>> >  arbitrarily large)? Not a good idea, no.:)  Requiring artwork for, say,
>> >  four primary spins? More plausible. You may still think it's a bad idea
>> >  - I just wanted to point out that the possibility of prioritizing a
>> >  small subset of spins has implications here.
> No I think limiting the spins to a set that we support is a good idea,
> +1. The thing is, I don't think it's the design team's responsibility to
> choose which ones get the attention and which don't. It's just not a
> decision we're really equipped to make or is even fair for us to make.
> Tell us what to do and we'll try our best to make it happen, but don't
> throw 50 balls at us and expect us to juggle them all:)

Interesting.

If it was me and I was faced with the same problem I would come up with
a single solution that serves all fifty or more as in I would create
artwork that generic enough to fit all fifty which brings this
discussion back on topic..

"hashing out Spins" as was put out only has two possible outcomes in the
long run as far as I see it one fits the above that I mention ( nr2 ).

1.

It will be formerly announced by the board and or the project leader
that it has been decided to have a single vision and single desktop
environment that it will follow and that desktop environment will be Gnome.

This will lead to either of the two things.

1.a

Finally bring closure to various community teams, group and members and
one by one they will close up shop and leave the project followed by
their userbase and any other projects that depend on them essentially
making Fedora Gnome only downstream.

1.b

There will be massive community revolt that takes place. ( if that's
even possible.. If not back to 1.a )

2.

It will be formerly announced by the board and or the project leader
that it has been decided that the year long history discrimation that
has happened in a project that has freedom as one of it foundation could
be or it will be phrased in a less negative way for the project of what
has happened such as to further strengthen one of the four foundation of
the Fedora project the board or it's project leader has decided to no
longer promote and officially deliver a single deskop solution and allow
the end user to choose the solution that fits his needs himself and so
fourth and so on followed by several community changes Fedora Desktop
become Fedora Gnome Desktop and releng and spin sig being merged into
one team etc.. ...

This will lead to either of the two things.

1.a.

A long overdue community healing process starts taken place which will
overall strengthen the community and collaboration in more welcoming and
open environment further increase the projects developers base and
general contribution that comes with promoting and supporting multiple
solutions and finally various teams can start focusing wholehearted on
the task hand instead of wasting their times fighting amongst themselves
and dividing them into  various fraction within the community.

1.b

Followers of the single vision and single desktop environment will pack
their bags and leave the project. ( which to me seems unlikely to happen )

If some one has different perspective that will not eventual ( or in the
long run ) lead to the those two possible outcomes please share it
because no matter how I look and from various angles I always end up
coming back to these possible outcomes.

JBG