Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 3 18:04:12 UTC 2010

> I think we can keep in mind the 'do we prioritize some spins' discussion
> here too. Requiring artwork group to create/help create artwork for
> every spin there is (especially given that that set can theoretically be
> arbitrarily large)? Not a good idea, no. :) Requiring artwork for, say,
> four primary spins? More plausible. You may still think it's a bad idea
> - I just wanted to point out that the possibility of prioritizing a
> small subset of spins has implications here.

No I think limiting the spins to a set that we support is a good idea,
+1. The thing is, I don't think it's the design team's responsibility to
choose which ones get the attention and which don't. It's just not a
decision we're really equipped to make or is even fair for us to make.
Tell us what to do and we'll try our best to make it happen, but don't
throw 50 balls at us and expect us to juggle them all :)

We do make all of our artwork & templates available and we of course use
only tools available in Fedora to create them. The spin maintainers can
easily open the official templates and modify to their liking for their
own spin. It could be documented better though, and we've made some
efforts to provide documentation for these every-release things we do in
design (see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design#How_Tos )

We provide the artwork for discs that we do today because those are the
ones ambassadors have professionally-printed and distribute at events
and that's what makes them higher-priority to us - they will be printed
& pressed & distributed.

It might be interesting to have an intermediary here, e.g., these spins
are officially distributed at events so they'll get design team help,
but these other spins are not so the design team will provide
documentation for the spin owners to self-service their own designs.

I think what's distributed at events often times has a budget constraint
so it has a non-infinite limit.

Anyway for the larger conversation it might be worth thinking about
which things can be made 'self-service,' for spin owners, identifying
where we need additional documentation / templatization / wherever to
enable them to take care of various things on their own when the central
project resources can't.

~m