Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 5 02:36:15 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 21:09 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> Mo, this is a false dichotomy.  I also believe that it's unfair.  To
> claim that the GNOME-centric vision is the only vision that could
> *possibly* help users smacks of hubris, to me.

No, it's unfair to say I said something I never said. Where did I
mention GNOME anywhere? Where does that word appear anywhere in what I
wrote?

I really don't care which desktop it is, just that it's one and the user
doesn't have to make a choice.

> The question is, how do we treat everyone else?  How do we treat
> people who have a vision that is not the GNOME-centric vision of the
> world?

I don't want users to have to make a DE choice, just as I don't expect
my auto mechanic to ask me which oil filter I want (I don't care. Make
my car run.)

If folks want to work on desktops that are not the default, THERE IS NO
PROBLEM WITH THAT. PLEASE FEEL FREE. PLEASE HAVE FUN.

But don't confuse the users by making Fedora a choose-your-own adventure
clubhouse type of affair that turns off the very users I'm working my
butt off at attracting.

> I think that we should treat them with the respect they are due.  I
> think we should say "our primary focus is the GNOME Desktop, but your
> work is also very valuable, and to that end, we can promise resources
> X and Y, and even though we can't promise resources Q and Z, we're
> willing to have conversations about how to grow those resources so
> that, one day, we can offer them."

Yes +1

~m