Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Greg DeKoenigsberg greg.dekoenigsberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 03:21:25 UTC 2010

2010/12/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>

> Yes but you shouldn't have to read a manual or a how-to just to try out
> Fedora. If we pose Fedora in such a way that only users of a certain
> technical knowledge/prowess can get up and running with it efficiently,
> we're basically shutting them out of using it. It's much easier to get
> them up and running on a default set of things and if they want to
> explore later, of course they can, but if you have to learn too much
> just to get started it's overwhelming and we'll lose a lot of people.

So let me ask this.

If there were, say, a small but attractive graphic info box, above the fold
but below the Desktop spin language, that rotated through a set of options,
like: "Try Something Different! LXDE!" do you think that would lose a bunch
of people?

Again, I am not arguing to change the default.  That ship has sailed.  I'm
arguing to give other spins a bit more visibility.  I know you've gone
through a lot of iterations, but none of those iterations have satisfied the
Spin advocates, and I wonder if we can get a bit closer to that.

--g