Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 6 22:43:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 17:40 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> 2010/12/6 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>
>

>         Did you ask for a slide?
>

> Did he know to ask for a slide?
>

> Maybe it would be worth folks' time to get togther for an hour
> sometime on IRC and brainstorm all the possible services that could be
> made available to people who want to advertise their spins, and what
> is required to make these things happen.  The more we do to promote
> these options actively, the better our chances of avoiding these kinds
> of misunderstandings.  (I hope.)

I think the thing that isn't really being explained very clearly here,
is that the website didn't have slides before. It didn't. We took the
features we could convert into slides from F13 to make slides. This was
the first launch of ever having a front-page slide. I have no idea how I
could have made it more visible than it was; multiple folks working on
the new website blogged about it and the mockups were floated around on
Fedora Planet, on the Wiki, on Identi.ca, on various mailing lists, etc.
etc. etc.

A new opportunity to bring more visibility to subprojects within Fedora
was created where there was none, and somehow it's a bad thing. Can't
win!

~m