Request: please consider clarifying the project's position on Spins

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 13:20:49 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
>>       * manage to cut down the dependency jungle to a reasonable extent
>
> FYI, this has been an assigned ticket in FESCo for months. I suspect
> it would get more work if more exaples were actually posted to it. AFAIK,
> most everything that was mentioned there has already been addressed. (And,
> not coincidentally, *caused* various spin issues/delays in F-14, but
> I may be misremembering.)

To be honest I don't think this is something that can be addressed in
a single FESCo ticket. I think this is something that needs to be
embedded in the packaging policy somehow or the understanding. This is
something that i'm constantly fighting and people just generally don't
realise the impact or worse don't care of the impact. I had one
instance recently where the main package which was part of core gnome
was pulling in an entire dep tree because the packager didn't realise,
I pinged them and helped resolve the problem. tracker recently started
pulling in QT and deps which when installed is 75 odd Mb. This is
something that is a constant ongoing review. I'm aware of the ticket
but I don't think its the solution to the problem.

Peter