Multi-desktop spin

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 14 16:34:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok I started playing around with a multi-desktop kickstart. I went
> whole hog on it because I figured it would be a dvd or USB key.. at
> the moment it is 6.2 GB uncompressed with every OPtional gnome, kde,
> lxde, xfce, and fvwm package installed on the box. Once I get the
> scripts for icons installed and such I should be able to replicate
> through the Fedora tool system for a download and test.

Not to dive into the technical weeds here, but I'm not sure there's as
much value in a "smorgasboard" installation as there is in a "sampler"
installation.

By "sampler", I mean an image that can be burned to DVD media and
easily booted from, that has each of the desktop environments so that
a user can try them, and the most commonly used applications for said
environment (like we currently do on the LiveCD images).  The
interesting question in my mind is -- can that be done and still fit
on a regular (not dual-layer) DVD?  If so, I think that's going to be
of the most benefit for handing out at events, etc.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader