GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Dec 16 00:04:19 UTC 2010

Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
> > +# This will be in the main libnotify package.
> > +rm -f $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_bindir}/notify-send
>
> So I have to install libnotify again to get notify-send? Did you check
> if notify-send is still compatible?

That sounds like an *EXCELLENT* thing for someone who's interested
in keeping their apps on the old libnotify ABI to test.

> > You'd have to require the right version, and possibly patch a few
> > configure scripts. Again, not hard, and sort of part and parcel of staying
> > on non-default versions of libraries.
>
> What if something else in the dependency chain already requires
> libnotify?

The packages don't conflict - if you're modifying your configure
scripts right (i.e., the call to pkg-config should ask for 'libnotify-0.6',
not 'libnotify'), it should just work.

In any case, my idea here is to show how those that may need to
stay on an older library can solve their problems, not to provide
the entire thing for them. 'Teach a man to fish', etc.

Bill