GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 08:43:02 UTC 2010

On 12/16/2010 12:40 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> I've asked for
> clarification and more details from the Desktop team at Red Hat, so
> that I have a better picture of exactly what it is that they would
> like us to do.  I'd hate to make assumptions before I have the whole
> picture.  Once I do have a clearer picture, then we can work together
> as a community to find the right answer, and hopefully one that is a
> win-win situation for all involved.

I think you are going about this the wrong way as in by asking them for
clarifications.

What I think you should be doing is finding out why they aren't
communicating and collaborating more openly and better with the community.

Our desktop team should be informing us ( us meaning community ).

* What they are trying to achieve
* Where they are heading
* Where they are at in that process
* Where they are going next
* What obstacles they have faced
* What obstacles they are now are facing
* What they need from us ( us meaning community ) to get there and
achieve their goal

They are doing and deciding everything behind closed doors and they are
getting a *special* treatment in the project while other SIG are
collaborating everything in the open in the community and they get squat
( this is a phrase no need to get a list on what they get ) and the
chance that what ever the desktop team is up to this time, the chance
each release cycle will effectively ruin all their work hanging over
their heads which would not happen if they just *communicated* and
people are wondering why everybody is getting upset. <sigh>

So Jared first and foremost focus on getting those people to talk to us
and explain what's going on.

JBG