GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 16 10:34:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 15.12.2010, 19:40 -0500 schrieb Jared K. Smith:
>> My job as the Fedora Project Leader is to ensure that the Fedora
>> community is a welcoming environment.  Maybe it's the eternal optimist
>> in me, but I would hope that we could find a way to move past the
>> complaining and blaming and the rampant accusations and find
>> constructive ways to communicate better and then *work* towards a
>> better tomorrow.
>
> This is the part I disagree. We must work together, sure. We must
> communicate, that's what I demand all the time and what is happening
> right now.
>
> But it must be possible to speak about problems or mistakes openly. This
> has nothing to do with complainants, accusations or even personal
> attacks as some claim. If we want to improve, we need to analyze what
> went wrong in the past. We need to learn our lesson from history in
> order to not repeat the same mistakes again.

That's fair.  Please understand I'm not trying to silence honest
criticism at all, and I'm not against learning lessons from history.
I certainly could have worded it better, but I guess what I'm trying
to say is that making a list of past grievances *without* ideas and
suggestions for moving forward isn't as useful (at least to me) as a
list of possible solutions or ideas for making things better in the
future.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader