GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:22:20 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 16.12.2010, 05:34 -0500 schrieb Jared K. Smith:
> I guess what I'm trying
> to say is that making a list of past grievances *without* ideas and
> suggestions for moving forward isn't as useful (at least to me) as a
> list of possible solutions or ideas for making things better in the
> future.

If I name 10 things that went wrong in the past, the stop forward IMHO
is obvious. Stop it!

It's simply the opposite of what has happened:
      * If you are about to make changes that affect a large number of
        packages and maintainers, announce them on time. This is already
        in the wiki at [1].
      * Do not make fundamental changes late in the release cycle, not a
        few days and not after *after* beta freeze [2].
      * Do not hardcode dependencies too much. [3].
      * Do not hardcode dependencies on themes. This is useless because
        you will never know if people are actually using this particular
        theme.
      * Respond to bugs in a timely manner [4].
      * Communicate, reply to questions and critisism.

I think we all agree on these points. They are ether part of our
guidelines or common sense. The question is why some people still don't
care. We had this discussion in the past a couple of times but so far
nothing has really changed.

Regards,
Christoph

[1]