GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 09:35:18 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 17, 2010 01:54:47 am Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Or, to quote Christoph exactly:
> >
> > "... because they work for Red Hat. Note that I'm not saying they are
> > evil people, it's just in the nature of things they operate behind
> > closed doors. It is so much easier to quickly go from one cube to the
> > next to make a decision than having to bother with a committee, a
> > mailing list or the many voices of the community."
>
> They just don't know how RHT works then.  People that may be 3 cubes
> away from each other will prefer to chat on IRC than in person.  It's
> quicker and involves less interruption.
>
> I think the real key things here are thus:
>
> The Desktop team is primarily made up of software developers, who's "day
> job" is writing code upstream.  As such, they tend to spend most of
> their day communicating with the upstream community, in upstream
> locations.  They are still transparent, if you know where to look.
>
> The difference being is that they are primarily developers working on
> software and focusing on software development issues.  This is different
> from the other SIGs who are primarily packagers who are focusing on
> downstream packaging and bug triaging.  I think this fundamental
> difference is the reason why the desktop team seems to operate so
> "differently" from the rest.

That's maybe the problem Christoph points on - I think both is important - to
join upstream as much as possible but also do the downstream work - you cannot
cut it down.

I'm not saying it's easy - where I am upstream - I tend to communicate more
upstream, but it has to be reflected in downstream too. Sometimes I feel
schizophrenic :)

R.

PS: KDE SIG are not only maintainers but KDE core devels too ;-)
--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 602 797 774