GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 16:35:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:54:47PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Or, to quote Christoph exactly:
> >
> > "... because they work for Red Hat. Note that I'm not saying they are
> > evil people, it's just in the nature of things they operate behind
> > closed doors. It is so much easier to quickly go from one cube to the
> > next to make a decision than having to bother with a committee, a
> > mailing list or the many voices of the community."
>
> They just don't know how RHT works then.  People that may be 3 cubes
> away from each other will prefer to chat on IRC than in person.  It's
> quicker and involves less interruption.

Actualy -- I've heard exactly the argument that Cristoph is making from the
desktop team.  The one time that I can remember enough context around to
remember the time frame was when they decided to stop having weekly IRC
meetings to discuss what work had just been done/what work was going to be
done.

So I don't know if it's true but I do know that it was given as the reason
that one thing other SIGs take for granted as a matter of operating was
abandoned.

-Toshio