potential action items from GNOME 3 & F15 drama

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 11:55:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 21:28 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:

> As I understand it, Fedora is almost certain to be the first of the
> "major" distributions to carry GNOME 3.

Not necessarily. Ubuntu releases before us. They'd probably argue that
their default interface for 11.04 is still GNOME 3, just with Unity on
the top, but more to the point, they may well have GNOME Shell available
in 11.04 too. They definitely have people working on it, though they're
apparently hitting bugs ATM.

We can count on being the first to carry the stock upstream GNOME 3
shell by default, yes. But that's a more nuanced message. =)

Point being, if we want to use this for publicity, we should approach it
carefully; it wouldn't help anyone if the way we went about it wound up
with us and Ubuntu getting into some kind of public slanging match over
technicalities ('but Unity's not GNOME!' 'Yes it is!' etc)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey