potential action items from GNOME 3 & F15 drama

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 17 13:33:51 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 11:55 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 21:28 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, Fedora is almost certain to be the first of the
> > "major" distributions to carry GNOME 3.
>
> Not necessarily. Ubuntu releases before us. They'd probably argue that
> their default interface for 11.04 is still GNOME 3, just with Unity on
> the top, but more to the point, they may well have GNOME Shell available
> in 11.04 too. They definitely have people working on it, though they're
> apparently hitting bugs ATM.
>
> We can count on being the first to carry the stock upstream GNOME 3
> shell by default, yes. But that's a more nuanced message. =)

To be fair, I don't think Fedora being the first distro to ship GNOME 3
by default is nuanced; I do think it's a major milestone for both the
Fedora and GNOME projects and should be celebrated accordingly.
Especially given what makes Fedora different from *cough* other distros
is our commitment to working closely with upstreams.

~m