GNOME as the default desktop (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Minutes - 2010-12-06)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Dec 17 19:30:33 UTC 2010

I'll just say this - if you step back for a minute, is it really
reasonable to expect that for any popular product, if anyone in the
entire world can just jump in and add their two cents (and propose
changes), that there *wouldn't* be controversy and heated discussion
around defaults, parts of the interface, etc.?

Flaming sucks, yes, but what matters the most ultimately is *are we
making something compelling*.  The process is a means to the end, in
other words.

That aside, can people working on parts of the OS like GNOME do better
in communicating what's going on and interacting with users and
developers?  Of course.  We could be doing a lot better.  But the
mailing list and IRC channel remain open and public, as they always
have been.