Looking for feedback on Fedora Code of Conduct Draft

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 2 01:35:59 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The Fedora Community Work Group has been working for some time on a Code
of Conduct(1) and a Code of Conduct Enforcement Guideline(2), and we
have gotten to a point where we would like some feedback from the
community. We looked at some other communities code of conduct, and came
to the conclusion that we wanted to keep our COC fairly brief, and not
have it be so restrictive as to discourage people from wanting to
contribute to project discussions.

Here's the text for the Code of Conduct draft, so please make any
constructive feedback you may have. I'll send a separate e-mail with the
COC Enforcement draft text, so we can keep feedback for each on topic.

=== Code of Conduct Draft ===
The Fedora community is made up of a mixture of professionals and
volunteers from all over the world, working on every aspect of the
distribution from coding through to marketing. Diversity is one of our
huge strengths, but it can also lead to communication issues and
unhappiness. To that end, we have a few ground rules that we ask people
to adhere to when they're using project resources.

This isn't an exhaustive list of things that you can't do. Rather, take
it in the spirit in which it's intended - a guide to make it easier to
be excellent to each other.

      * Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people, and you
        in turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take
        will affect users and colleagues, and you should take those
        consequences into account when making decisions.

      * Be respectful. People volunteer to work on Fedora. Not all of us
        will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor
        behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some
        frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration
        to turn into a personal attack. It's important to remember that
        a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not
        a productive one. Members of the Fedora community should be
        respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with
        people outside the Fedora community and with users of Fedora.

When we disagree, we try to understand why. Disagreements, both social
and technical, happen all the time and Fedora is no exception. It is
important that we resolve disagreements and differing views
constructively.

Remember that we're different. The strength of Fedora comes from its
varied community, people from a wide range of backgrounds. Different
people have different perspectives on issues. Being unable to understand
why someone holds a viewpoint doesn't mean that they're wrong. Don't
forget that it is human to err and blaming each other doesn't get us
anywhere, rather offer to help resolving issues and to help learn from
mistakes.

===

(1)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_working_group/Code_of_Conduct_Draft
(2)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_working_group/CoC_Enforcement

Thanks,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E