Regarding personnel changes in Fedora

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:53:05 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 02:38 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Josh Boyer (jwboyer at gmail.com) said:
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Given the recent announcement regarding the new Fedora program manager and
>>> since I got asked I just forward those question to the right people who can
>>> clarify these things for people preferable on a wiki page(s) in foreseeable
>>> future.
>>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Engineering probably answers a
>> number of your questions.
>>
>>> Who are Fedora personal?
>> I interpret 'Fedora personel' as people being paid to work on Fedora,
>> which the above wiki page covers.  There are, of course, a very large
>> number of people that volunteer their time to work on various things
>> in Fedora as well.
> At RH there is also the FPL (paid position at RH, filled via applications, both
> internal and external) and the Fedora Progra Manager (paid position at RH,
> filled via applications, both internal and external.)
>
> Generally, for any of these paid positions at RH,  announcements will go out
> to Planet Fedora at the least, and occasionally the list. Other companies
> may have roles in Fedora they pay people for, and that is up to them how
> they advertise it.
>
> Bill

Well Red Hat is also very good at inventing Fedora positions and
planting people in the more often then not outside the community thou
the corporate has been getting better at recruiting community members to
fill those positions. Which certainly is good for the community member
who gets to fill that position but arguably not so much for the project
or the community in whole which depends on the position and the relevant
corporate interest behind it.

Arguably for each of these paid corporate positions within the project

So "Fedora_Engineering" would become "Red Hat's Fedora Engineering" and
let's for example say that Intel had a people working within the project
it would be called "Intel's Fedora Engineering" and all of this listed
under Fedora Engineering page in our wiki.

Of course listing non paid community members first since their
contribution is more valuable then those that are doing this as a part
of their $dayjob =)

JBG