Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:41:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 12:30 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>> * The tickets filed with the Board are, at least a reasonable percentage
>> of the time, of a nature that they should be kept private (legal stuff,
>> personnel/sensitive/conflict, etc.).
>

> I would argue here that we should create an separate trac instance to handle
> all the legal issues which would be handled by the legal team for the legal
> stuff and another one for community conflicts be it individuals or groups in
> our community which would be handled by the community working group and the
> relevant tickets be migrated to those instances ( if doable ).

The board gets legal and trademark issues that don't necessarily go to
legal themselves, or if they do the appropriate people get added to
the CC:. Some times there are things reported that aren't initially
considered a legal issue by the reporter.

There was a ticket that I opened long before I was on the board to do
with the MeeGo spin which involved legal and various trademark and
other things that a third party insisted on being closed before they
would begin discussion, personally I have no idea why that was but
hey.

There could also be things similar like Secure Boot (this isn't one,
just a possible example of one) which in the short term needs to
remain private for a period of time due to a NDA or similar.

> Could you provide example on what you mean by "personnel and "sensitive"
> issues that the board might be dealing with which might not belong in either
> of those two previously mentioned instances?

It varies and there's no hard and fast rule. Some times there's
personal issues that are reported that are redirected to the COW or
even escalated to the board from COW. It might be something to do with
a vendor that they wish to keep private until a particular point in
time (I'm not aware of any of these specifically as yet).

Ultimately I think it's very hard in a lot of the cases to draw a line
between two trac instances and say "This should be open" and "This
should not be open" and in a a non small amount of cases the tickets
move from one side to the other in either direction during the tickets
life time and there's no way of even finer grained control to be able
to make certain updates public or private.

Peter