Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 15:26:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-10 at 14:34 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> Not to throw any more flame on the fire, but I really prefer the
> current method (the one we've used since Fedora's inception). I really
> dislike the direction this has taken. The current mechanism works just
> fine for most folks, or they don't care. I think spinning our wheels
> on a decision to move forward is probably more one of 'why are we
> doing this again?' syndrome. I'm not sure the connotation analysis
> that started this conversation really represented the feelings of
> everyone in the Fedora community. It certainly didn't for me.

The current trend of our naming scheme is highly embarrassing and the
media unfortunately agrees. Here's one chock full of quotes from
prominent Fedora contributors who don't like it either:

http://lwn.net/Articles/488900/

The folks who came up with the naming scheme themselves have said enough
is enough.

~m