Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 17:06:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> I think that arguing incessantly about the naming process opens Fedora
> up to more ridicule than the names it has produced.
>
> While I've heard folks groan about the Fedora names, I don't think
> I've ever heard anyone "ridicule" Fedora for its names.
>
> I've seen this discussion about names pop up multiple times, but it
> only seems to enjoy support from a small number of folks who don't
> like some of the names picked. Maybe it's time to drop it and accept
> that the current system, while not perfect, doesn't need to be
> modified or killed.
> --
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier

Joe,
  I have voiced support for killing all names entirely and only going with
numbers. The lwn article cites me in that. I am not upset about the
current names I honestly do not remember them for more than the day they
are announced, typically. I only care about the waste of time and the
noise generated by the naming discussion.

So - there you have it someone who supports doing away with the naming who
is not upset about the named picked.

-sv