Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 18:04:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 18:14 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Just before the release of Fedora 17 there was a board ticket opened
> by someone in the Fedora Hindu community about the use of beef in the
> naming due to the cow being sacred. They never bothered to bring it up
> long before that even though it had been public for months and what's
> more the number of people that vote for a release name isn't that high
> and the difference in voting between first and second wasn't a huge
> number and if it was such a big problem for the user base it wouldn't
> have taken much effort to gather together a group of people and vote
> against it. From memory the person that opened the ticket didn't even
> care enough to answer a number of questions asked of them.

He followed up with you guys a number of times. I watched it on the
list.

I will say I was a supporter of Beefy Miracle, but there were times went
it went much too far. For example, I can't participate in Fedora events
when hot dogs are being handed out, because I can't eat them - I've
stood manning a Fedora booth with the strong smell of hot dogs cooking
right in front of me. (Seriously unpleasant for a vegetarian.)

It's not offensive IMHO, but it is childish and annoying. Look at the
Fedora 19 proposals so far. The vast majority are juvenile. Prime Rib?
Elastic Horses? Really???

> I personally like the current process, but if there is enough
> consensus for it to be changed whether it be to another naming scheme
> or no scheme at all I'm not going to go else where but nobody has
> actually stepped up to run the process and work work with the board to
> actually get things moving forward which is why we're back in having
> this conversation again and nothing has happened. It seems people care
> enough to talk about it on mailing lists but not enough to change the
> process.

I created and came up with the majority of the suggestions on the
theming process wiki page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Suggestions_for_Fedora_Codename_Theme

I have been waiting for months for the board to set up an election for
this as asked for. We got one election which was poorly put together and
led to no solid conclusions since there were only two options, not the
three that had been asked for: "Keep a codename" vs "Don't keep a
codename" instead of "Keep the process as-is", "Get a better one", "No
codenames."

We're not simply whining about it, a bunch of us have been putting
together these suggestions and looking to the board for guidance for
quite some time now.

~m