Fedora naming proposal based on Periodic Table of Elements

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 20:22:52 UTC 2012

Hi folks! :-)

I'm an "outsider" on this list so feel free to ignore me, but I think I may
have a good idea for a different codename strategy.

Namely, there are projects out there that give codenames to releases based on
particular features introduced in each release. For example, mplayer has (or
had) a "<something>Counter" codenames, where <something> was a particular
thing connected to a particular release. So they had codenames like
BugfixCounter, CodecCounter, PatentCounter, RTFMCounter, BirthdayCounter, etc.

Now, each Fedora release is always full of new stuff, and proud to be
showcasing leading edge technologies. So why wouldn't we think on the lines of
naming like (for example) "<latest>Tech":

DesktopTech, InitTech, KernelTech, CompilerTech, OfficeTech, SambaTech,
GlibcTech, ScienceTech, SpinsTech, ...,

based on the most prominent piece of new software being implemented in the
particular release of Fedora? Of course, I chose "<latest>Tech" just as an
example, someone can probably think of a more interesting proposal.

What would be put in as <latest> can be voted upon, and the proposals would
come naturally, based on the new stuff developed&implemented in а given
release.

Some features of this naming scheme:

* Codenames can be repeated, if appropriate.
* We can never run out of good ideas for them, since in each Fedora release
there is some new tech.
* We can always have cool names, not embarrasing or insulting to anyone. Legal
issues would probably be nonexistent.
* Codenames will be practically informative about the contents of a release
(to some extent).
* Ambassadors will be able to use the codenames to showcase latest technology
to the public.
* People can remember codenames of various releases in a natural and intuitive
way, based on the particular piece of software that was introduced in a
particular release for the first time (think NetworkManagerTech,
PulseaudioTech, SystemdTech, Grub2Tech, Gnome3Tech, or such).

And last, but most importantly:

* These codenames would eliminate endless e-mail discussions on whether we
need a codename or not. ;-) Everyone can be happy with the names (hopefully).

Just a suggestion for thinking outside of the box. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko