Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 16:47:20 UTC 2014

On 26 March 2014 10:11, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-03-25 at 14:29 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu>
> wrote:
> > > The KDE SIG would like public comment and feedback on a new Fedora.next
> > > product proposal:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product
> > >
> > > mostly on the base proposal, Governance and PRD bits.  Other stuff like
> > > Technical spec are still undergoing polish.
> >
> > I went from pretty excited initially to a bit disappointed that the
> > PRD seems to mostly be snipped from the Workstation PRD. I was hoping
> > for something with a more original vision I guess. So my first comment
> > really is meant to encourage the Fedora Plasma Product to create more
> > separation between itself and the Workstation Product. Two products
> > with a very similar vision I suspect will be a hard sell generally.
>
> I agree with this paragraph.
>
> A product should really have a distinct use case (or cases) that it is
> trying to address. Something like 'Fedora media center' or 'Fedora
> kiosk' would be an excellent addition to the product lineup. If we take
> the workstation specs and just s/G/K/ or s/G/X/, we end up back in the
> place we were with spins - too much choice, and too little
> differentiation.

Could a unified consensus of what is wanted in products please be presented
by the Board to potential groups? Round 1 seems to have been "Here use
these accepted PRD's and communication as a guideline for what we want."
Round 2 seems to be "Don't use these accepted PRD's and communication as a
guideline of what we want."

I realize that this new all around and 'We know what we like when we
finally see it." but  a little help might make this not a daily exercise of
frustration.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.