Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 22:08:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 05:38:21PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> processors to data visualization to IDEs to educational tools. This
> furthers the impression that the goal of this product is specifically
> focused on the technology implementation (QT/KDE).

And to echo my comments from the devel list and the FESCo ticket... I think
it's great to have technology-focused things in Fedora, but to me, those
should be spins. The products should be user- and use-case focused. I'm
concerned that this proposal is at least largely (if not entirely) coming out
of fear that technologies which aren't the main focus of products will be at
a big disadvantage in Fedora. If that's the case, I'd rather work on solving
that directly. Let's remove the causes of fear, rather than artificially
shoehorning something into the product space when that's not _really_ what
the problem is.

We're planning on promoting solution-area products as a primary view, but we
can provide a tech-showcase view too, and we can make that shiny and
appealing as well. If the worry is that KDE is going to be lost in a 100
remixes and spins, let's give it a special spotlight. As already noted,
we're okay with keeping the spin release-blocking even if it isn't a
product.

On the other hand, if the board decides that we should present different
desktop technology options at the Product level even if that alone is the
main differentiator... okay, I think we can work with that too. It's not a
_completely_ crazy idea. :)

(See ASCII art at <https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1265#comment:15>;
I won't redraw here!)

Or on the third hand, maybe my concern is off-base, and the differentiation
among desktop targets is a serious goal (and can be made more clear). In
that case, carry on!