Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:42:49 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 05:38:21PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> processors to data visualization to IDEs to educational tools. This
>> furthers the impression that the goal of this product is specifically
>> focused on the technology implementation (QT/KDE).
>
> And to echo my comments from the devel list and the FESCo ticket... I think
> it's great to have technology-focused things in Fedora, but to me, those
> should be spins. The products should be user- and use-case focused. I'm
> concerned that this proposal is at least largely (if not entirely) coming out
> of fear that technologies which aren't the main focus of products will be at
> a big disadvantage in Fedora. If that's the case, I'd rather work on solving
> that directly. Let's remove the causes of fear, rather than artificially
> shoehorning something into the product space when that's not _really_ what
> the problem is.

Spins are disadvantaged, they always have been.

So how would you view a hypothetical product proposal for a Fedora
Media Center Product? Should that be a spin? Should that be a "spin"
built from the Server Product? Is there a difference between a spin
and something built from a Product and how we present those to the
public?

> We're planning on promoting solution-area products as a primary view, but we
> can provide a tech-showcase view too, and we can make that shiny and
> appealing as well. If the worry is that KDE is going to be lost in a 100
> remixes and spins, let's give it a special spotlight. As already noted,
> we're okay with keeping the spin release-blocking even if it isn't a
> product.

Until the KDE folks express their concerns if they have them directly
I'd rather not guess what they might be.

John