Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 27 11:27:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 06:42:49PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> Spins are disadvantaged, they always have been.

Yeah, but that's something we can look at changing too, especially for the
desktop spins.

> So how would you view a hypothetical product proposal for a Fedora
> Media Center Product? Should that be a spin? Should that be a "spin"
> built from the Server Product? Is there a difference between a spin
> and something built from a Product and how we present those to the
> public?

I think that could make sense as a product (although given the sad state of
media formats and patents, I'm afraid it will remain hypothetical). The
audience and use case is very different from the server target.

I'm not sure I quite understand the last question, but I think you're asking
if a spin that is derived from a product is different from a spin that is
built from general Fedora bits, and I think the answer _right now_ is "not
by much" but it might be more important in the future.

> > We're planning on promoting solution-area products as a primary view, but we
> > can provide a tech-showcase view too, and we can make that shiny and
> > appealing as well. If the worry is that KDE is going to be lost in a 100
> > remixes and spins, let's give it a special spotlight. As already noted,
> > we're okay with keeping the spin release-blocking even if it isn't a
> > product.
> Until the KDE folks express their concerns if they have them directly
> I'd rather not guess what they might be.

Well, I *have* heard some of these concerns directly, but, yes, please take
this as an invitation.