Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:44:00 UTC 2014

Hi

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Rex Dieter  wrote:

> The KDE SIG would like public comment and feedback on a new Fedora.next
> product proposal:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Plasma_Product
>
> mostly on the base proposal, Governance and PRD bits.  Other stuff like
> Technical spec are still undergoing polish.

My understanding is that KDE SIG has the impression that "products" are the
new fashionable thing and being a Spin is just not good enough and also the
understanding that if KDE Spin is just renamed to KDE Product, it would get
rejected.  The Plasma product seems to be more or less a rename with some
other things thrown in  (Scientific because scientific spin happened to use
KDE) to make it pass through the board/FESCo approvals.

My concern is that if this is approved, we are heading towards the world
where we have reinvented spins but with a new name without changing
anything fundamental about how Fedora releases are structured.  If Plasma
product is really aimed at a different audience,  it needs to be a lot more
targeted.  If KDE really is better suitable for the target audience (I
honestly don't know), then I would like to see that explained further in
the proposal.

Rahul