Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 09:05:37 UTC 2014

As I mentioned in many other emails to the various Fedora lists I am very negative
to growing the numbers of products, especially in light of the Fedora Product plan
being an attempt to move away from Fedora just being a collection of components
to actually being something identifiable and recognizable.

There should not be any new products of any kind launched or set up before
we have the 3 current products launched and established, and the Fedora infrastructure
fully updated to handle it.

Once we decide the time has come to open up for new products they should have a
clear focus that is very different from what we have today. Matthias mentioned
items such as a media center system as a good example of that in his email the
other day.

The Plasma Product falls short of such a distinction. The attempt at carving out
a set of usecases for the Plasma product doesn't really provide any real differentiation
from the Workstation proposal. The PRDs are meant to be dynamic documents being updated
over time and what happens when the workstation decides to broaden its focus as we move
forward? Would Plasma then automatically retreat from claiming to be an offering for
that field? Also of the kind of applications that is mentioned for Plasma, would any of
them not work or not be possible to install into the Workstation? What real benefit would
Plasma provide for running those applications that the Workstation can't?

KDE will be available for install onto the Workstation as stated multiple times, it working
will even be release blocking. So for users who want a KDE desktop that option will be available
through the workstation plans.

As a sidenote, in the FESCO notes there was a suggestion to the board to make a KDE spin blocking once we
switch to the Products releases. I strongly object to this idea. It undermines the whole idea
of having the product focus in the first place and creates a precedent for spins being more than
unofficial community efforts to highlight various technologies and ideas. There is a proper plan and effort
underway now in Fedora with the 3 products effort, lets stay the course and not water things down to a
level where we are basically back to the bad old days.

Christian