Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:25:59 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 10:01 AM, Christian Schaller wrote:
> The premise for the 3 products was a move away from the exact model of 'Fedora' being
> a random collection of spins and instead have 3 clearly defined products. Turning back
> the clock here to the old spins model is a change to the premise of the 3 product model.

This is unavoidable fallout from decisions made by those directing the WG.

The workstation working group should have defined a set of "standards"
for all desktop environment to strive to meet like the server WG does
with it's roles or at least planned to do when I was a member of it (
granted I have not been paying much attention what it's up to now ) as
well as the cloud WG and Environment WG are doing  ( they are not
limited to single application or a single application stack or language
) but instead the workstation working group decided to focus building a
product around only one desktop environment "Gnome".

This has the consequences that...

A)

A working group will emerge around each of the other desktop
environments so that they can keep themselves in the existence and
relevant to Fedora to their target audience within Fedora which also
will unavoidable overlap significantly with what the workstation working
group is doing.

Or

B)

The contributors and maintainers of the desktop environments and spins
stop contributing to Fedora and find another home for themselves and
their target audience, an home that treats their contribution
respectfully and equally and we loose contributors within our project.

JBG

You reap what you sow...