Fedora Plasma Product, feedback please

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 28 12:29:37 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 05:05:37AM -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> As a sidenote, in the FESCO notes there was a suggestion to the board to
> make a KDE spin blocking once we switch to the Products releases. I
> strongly object to this idea. It undermines the whole idea of having the
> product focus in the first place and creates a precedent for spins being
> more than unofficial community efforts to highlight various technologies
> and ideas. There is a proper plan and effort underway now in Fedora with
> the 3 products effort, lets stay the course and not water things down to a
> level where we are basically back to the bad old days.

I think we can solve this by working more on what it means to be "blocking".
In the ideal future, I would like to get to the point where nothing is
blocking, because:

  a) We have continuous integration and testing such that we could ship at
     any time if we decided to.
  b) we loosen up the ability to ship different parts at different times
     (even if mostly coordinated), so if some bug or upcoming new feature
     point in Cloud means we're not ready until a couple of weeks after the
     base release, it doesn't hold up Workstation. Remixes can already do
     this _outside_ of the project and we could allow ourselves that luxury
     inside too.

A will take a lot of work, and B will take a lot of coordination and
planning, but I think we can eventually get there. In the meantime, I'm okay
with drawing the lines of what blocks the release like an asymmetrical
puzzle piece rather than a perfect regular polygon. It's a compromise, but I
don't think it's "going back to the bad old days" in the larger context.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"