first (quick?) issue for the council -- fedora's default firefox page

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 26 19:28:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 01:10:21PM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >>open a network connection start.fedoraproject.org, before one has an
> >>easy opportunity to change the start page?
> >It is a remote page, as it has been for a while.
> Would making it a local page be an acceptible alternative?

Possibly, although I surmise that the updated, dynamic content (for
example, links to latest announcements and Fedora Magazine articles) is
what makes it useful to people. I don't know how to do that with a
local page unless we push out an updated startpage RPM daily. :)

I think primarily, I'd like to put it back to how it is in F20 and
figure out improvements from there.

> Do we know how much of a drop there is when people need to go
> through a book mark with the initial page being blank? It doesn't
> sound like the about:newpage version was there for a release, in
> which case we probably don't know the effect.

We don't know, and it will be a little hard to measure the impact since
it only affects new profiles.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>