a fedora council blog?

White, Langdon langdon at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 01:04:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 05:13:22PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > This makes sense to me, but contradicts what Paul said. :)
> > Hum, I don't see what he said in this thread. Or was it somewhere else?
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2015-March/017176.html
>
> > > Can we do everything we're doing on fedoramagazine.org that way? Not
> > > that we _have_ to do them both the same, but it kind of makes sense to
> > > consolidate.
> > You mean have fedoramagazine.org and a fedoracouncil.org blogs in the
> > same openshift instance? I think so, but I have not tried it.
>
> Well, what I meant was having both of those on wordpress.com, with the
> functionality Ryan needs for the theme and workflow stuff he's doing
> for the magazine.

So.. I am not sure of the appropriate place to discuss the tech aspects of
this scenario, but, WP has finally gotten with the times and does support
multiple sites within one install. One can also support different "areas"
of content. I think there are a few problems that need to be resolved:
1) what is the actual goal
a) create multiple sites to channel users?
b) only present users with content relevant to their profile?
c) should users be able to pick and choose the relevant content for them?
d) should the users be guided to the "right" content?
e) can users get to "special" content some how? (like is any of the content
not for general consumption?)

2) what is the infra difficulty?
a) do the maintainers have sufficient tech expertise to do the work? What
is the impact of an outage? What level of uptime is required?
b) how much content are we talking?
c) how much money is available to spend?

Personally, I would much rather see the answers to the questions above (and
the others I didn't think of) before trying to design a solution. For
example, wouldn't it be "better" to magically know which content was
relevant to which user types? then allow them to add categories that they
might enjoy? or remove ones they don't find relevant? Rather than splitting
the blog? That seems like a perfectly, technically solvable problem.
However, perhaps not, maybe it is important that contributors feel like
they are in the "in crowd" with a "special" blog (not hidden content or
anything), which shows their picture next to comments, allows for comments
and trending, etc because they are "logged in" and has super cool hot dog
related branding. I wouldn't know which of those to recommend without
knowing about the above questions.

Just some thoughts...

and, btw, massive +1 for SaaS model deployments (a la wp.com), however, it
comes with limitations on functionality, which.... see above :)