A Modest FOSCo Proposal

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 28 20:03:41 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 03:48:31PM -0400, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:
>> tl;dr - Narrowly define FOSCo as a decision making body to handle
>> budgetary requests from subprojects, and revive/revamp the Fedora
>> Commarch Team.
>
> I'm not opposed to rethinking this, because the previous launch effort
> kind of ran aground. So, thanks for opening this up.
>
> A few initial questions...
>
> Previously, CommArch was a Red Hat internal group. The intention here
> is for the new group with that name to be a _community_ group, right?
>
> Also, if the only point of FOSCo is to handle budgetary requests, why
> not just have that be the Council directly?

I agree.  Particularly in light of the FAD changes that were just done.

> In your document, I'm unclear if the sections on Delegation, Operating
> Principles, etc., is meant to apply to the New CommArch or to the
> "narrowed FOSCo". I *think* it's meant to be CommArch and doesn't
> address the FOSCo bit, right? In which case, maybe the previous
> question answers itself....

A couple of more questions:

I'm a bit concerned at the size of the delegation pool here.  While it
might make sense to include 13 subprojects (really, we have 13??) + 5
WGs + SIGS + WHOEVER, I'm rather concerned such a large group will
amount to little progress on anything.  With large groups, two things
tend to happen.  Either everyone thinks someone else is doing $thing,
or there is disagreement how to do $thing and consensus can't be
reached.

In a similar vein, how will decisions be reached in this group?
Consensus, majority vote of eligible delegates in tickets, or?

It's also unclear to me what the Comm Arch team (committee?) will
actually be doing.  The things it can help with that are listed all
seem like "things we've known we could do better at for a while now",
which is great but how is this new team/committee/delegation going to
solve those problems?  What new incentive does this body bring to
getting the work done here that isn't present today?

josh