A Modest FOSCo Proposal

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 18:52:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 01:08:02PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
>> As one of the original credit card holders I just want to point out
>> that this at the higher end seems outdated. IIRC now any purchase in
>> excess of $1000 is supposed to be made by PO so community credit cards
>> aren't used for any expenses of that magnitude any longer. In my
>> experience they are used for small reimbursements for ambassadors to
>> attend events on occasion, shipping costs in North America at least,
>> and less often for actually purchasing anything. Expenses in excess of
>> $1000 are handled directly by Ruth or someone else from Red Hat.
>
> So, what about putting _all_ of these decisions at the local level as
> long as they stay with an agreed on annual (semi-annual? quarterly?)
> regional budget, with OSAS/Ruth/Remy as a check on any of these
> big-ticket expenses?

I personally have no issue with that. That is how it basically works
now in reality for me anyway. Smaller expenses approved by FamNA I
just pay when asked, larger ones involve Ruth typically. This all
works fine now from my perspective.

>> I can't imagine there is any burden on FAmSCo now although often
>> things are harder in other regions so there may still be some
>> involvement with FAmSCo. The Council could fill that role although it
>> seems better suited to FOSCo/CommArch or something where perhaps the
>> decision is made closer to the work it is supporting.
>
> I guess I wouldn't mind the Council being a little closer to the work,
> and vice versa, especially for the larger expenditures.

I don't mind that either although I don't really think it is the best
use of the Council to require them to approve every purchase of media
to hand out at events for example. That is expensive but it is also
routine and uninteresting for the most part. How much of your time do
you want to spend discussing the merits of new tablecloths? Being
closer to the actual work itself is more useful and important I think
than making decisions about swag. Joining ambassadors for booth duty
+1.

John