Re: Followups from Council phone call monday — Budget discussion for this year and beyond

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:33:10 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm sorry for the late response, but I'd like to set something straight:

>     - Right now, all money is allocated to ambassadors through regions,
>       including Flock and FUDCons, and except for FADs.

AFAIK this is not correct. The ambassadors only manage the regional
support but not premiere events budget.

Traditionally, the Fedora budget consisted of three parts:
1. premiere events
2. regional support
3. discretionary funds

1 and 3 are managed by the "budget owners", that means OSAS.

1 not only includes FLOCKs and FUDCons but also FADs as they are
premiere events, too. See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Premier_Fedora_Events

Only 2 is managed by the ambassadors and further broken down per
region. Depending on the amount, a request is either approved by a
peer (famsco member or credit card owner), the regional community (in
an IRC meeting) or by FAmSco. For more info see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reimbursements#Budget_Request_and_Reimbursement_Guidelines
and the regional guidelines linked there.

>       We want to do
>       that differently for FY18 — probably split out at least Flock,
>       and have non-regional budget for marketing and other centralized
>       community activities.

Right, and that's exactly what we already have or at least what we
used to have before OSAS, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Accounting and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture_expenses

Please let me know is something has changed and I'm mistaken.

Best regards,
Christoph