Followups from Council phone call monday — Budget discussion for this year and beyond

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 2 13:58:06 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 02:33:10PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I'm sorry for the late response, but I'd like to set something straight:
> >     - Right now, all money is allocated to ambassadors through regions,
> >       including Flock and FUDCons, and except for FADs.
> AFAIK this is not correct. The ambassadors only manage the regional
> support but not premiere events budget.

Well, Ruth told me that she allocated the money in that way. That may
be separate from who _manages_ it.

> Traditionally, the Fedora budget consisted of three parts:
> 1. premiere events
> 2. regional support
> 3. discretionary funds
> 1 and 3 are managed by the "budget owners", that means OSAS.
>
> 1 not only includes FLOCKs and FUDCons but also FADs as they are
> premiere events, too. See
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Premier_Fedora_Events

So, from that page, the label "premier" basically means "an event all
about Fedora, run by Fedora". As structured, that means central
organization for those, and ambassadors for Fedora presence at
non-Fedora events. I'm in favor of a wider scope for Ambassadors, to
also include regional premier events (at least to some degree — doesn't
mean that we'd throw out assistance from other parts of the project or
OSAS). That would include FADs focused on specific regions (like the
ambassador planning FADs or a translation sprint), and possibly FUDCon
too (but not Flock).

> >       We want to do
> >       that differently for FY18 — probably split out at least Flock,
> >       and have non-regional budget for marketing and other centralized
> >       community activities.
> Right, and that's exactly what we already have or at least what we
> used to have before OSAS, see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Accounting and
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture_expenses
> Please let me know is something has changed and I'm mistaken.

I think those pages are woefully out of date. I think it most matches
the statement "what we used to have before OSAS".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>