In which Matthew goes to Training (and comes back with Ideas about Marketing)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 19:48:50 UTC 2015

Hi Gabriele,

(cc'ing the magazine's chief editor)

On 10/21/2015 02:29 PM, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
> Is my opinion that magazine is a tool to give voice to our community.
> I'm not sure technical articles are interesting for the whole Fedora
> world. I think we should reach all the people with a magazine that
> spreads the Fedora world from the inside.
> People are more interested to listen stories than a technical article.
> I'm not discussing about the quality of the two things, but we have to
> consider also people that are approaching this world and want to know
> inside movements.
>
> Maybe a solution could be handle two magazines, with different target:
>
> 1) technical magazine;
> 2) generic magazine.

We had a discussion about the target audience of the magazine at Flock
and thus far the editing efforts behind the magazine have been pushing
towards the user base instead of the contributor base, with articles
that would be more suitable for a general audience than just the Fedora
contributor community.

The dichotomy is a bit different than you're posing then - contributor
vs user rather than 'technical' vs 'generic.' Still, contributor-focused
content tends to be mired in technical jargon specific to Fedora and the
magazine has been operating thus far in trying to avoid that.

I don't think 'technical' content is bad so long as its suitable for
that more general audience and not Fedora-contributor-specific jargon
(like 'FAS' or 'koji' or whatever)

~m