RFC: draft of new privacy policy

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Sep 2 20:22:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 12:36:48PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 09/02/2015 11:58 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> >""
> >we may disclose personally identifiable information about you to third parties
> >in limited circumstances, including:
> >- for research activities, including the production of statistical reports (such
> >aggregated information is used to describe our services and is not used to
> >contact the subjects of the report).
> >""
>
> I think this is talking about stuff like the 'State of the Fedora' FPL
> slides from conferences, those pie charts and stuff. But that kind of data
> isn't personally identifiable so I wonder why that is there. It seems like
> the research purposes bullet should be under another paragraph in the
> sharing section that says "aggregate user data may be..." blah blah.

Just to be clear, my concern wasn't about the stats aspects but about the 'third
parties' in combination with stats.
So kinda like using google analytics to get stats while in fact we're
specifically avoiding all third party services that could provide us with more
accurate info in favor of products/tools we can run ourselves and thus where
there are no '3rd party' involved.

Pierre