[Design-team] First Design Suite Build

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 22 08:36:51 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 01:01 AM, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:

> as I said some time ago on list I'll be doing the Design Suite for
> Fedora 13. Having had some pretty cool discussion with Diana, Mel and Mo
> in the hackroo... hospitality suite at FUDCon, I've created and uploaded
> a first build.

Nice... are available anywhere some notes about the design concepts
agreed there? (like select 'best of breed' apps or include as much as
possible, restrict to graphics or also go for audio/video, include or
not data...)

> It's already based on yesterday's Rawhide, even though it still calls
> itself Generic 12 - which means it might very well break. It worked for
> me in a VM, so you might just want to give it a try. It's currently
> around 900 MB and already using Peter Robinson's modified base package
> set, but we'll see if we can fit it into CD-size for the final release.

I don't think CD size is a realistic target, my suggestion is to aim for
2GB USB sticks (maybe 1.5GB worth of application, leaving some space for
live persistence)

> Actually, I was trying to upload it somewhere quickly and ended up using
> Wuala. You might need to run a java applet to download it immediately,
> depending on whether my upload has already propagated to all their
> systems. Peter has already offered to help with hosting, so this is just
> a very very temporary solution.
>
> Anyway, enough talk, here you go: http://www.wuala.com/sdziallas/fedora
>
> If you've any suggestions concerning which apps to include, to remove or
> what else to do, just shout! There's still a bit on my list and I'll
> move ahead and document more things over winter vacation, too.

I don't think I will get the time to play with it this year, can you
provide the list of packages?