[Design-team] First Design Suite Build

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 09:22:26 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 03:36 AM, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 01:01 AM, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>>
>> as I said some time ago on list I'll be doing the Design Suite for
>> Fedora 13. Having had some pretty cool discussion with Diana, Mel and Mo
>> in the hackroo... hospitality suite at FUDCon,

Hackroom! Hackroom!

(We used the word "hospitality suite" at the front desk because we
weren't sure how the hotel would feel about the word "hack," and this
became a running joke at FUDCon Toronto.)

 >> I've created and uploaded a first build.

I'd promised to help out a bit with marketing for this, so the first
step was to create a page that we can build into this project's home.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite

It's not ready for widespread "USE THIS!" PR yet, and won't be for some
time - but we still need a place where folks who want to contribute can
go and find out what's going on. So that's what this is right now.

I redirected the old link so edit history would be preserved, and the
link from the old [[Design]] page would still work:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio&redirect=no

> Nice... are available anywhere some notes about the design concepts
> agreed there? (like select 'best of breed' apps or include as much as
> possible, restrict to graphics or also go for audio/video, include or
> not data...)

Not that I know of, but I started a section for it with some notes:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Design_concepts

>> It's already based on yesterday's Rawhide, even though it still calls
>> itself Generic 12 - which means it might very well break. It worked for
>> me in a VM, so you might just want to give it a try. It's currently
>> around 900 MB and already using Peter Robinson's modified base package
>> set, but we'll see if we can fit it into CD-size for the final release.
>
> I don't think CD size is a realistic target, my suggestion is to aim for
> 2GB USB sticks (maybe 1.5GB worth of application, leaving some space for
> live persistence)

Yet more documentation stub-places for after these decisions have been
made: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Technical_requirements

> I don't think I will get the time to play with it this year, can you
> provide the list of packages?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Packages

...and of course, as for everything else we work on in Fedora, we need a
section for... https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#How_to_contribute

I'm not entirely sure what the different steps to making a Remix/Spin
are (this may be a good thing to write up a tutorial for, and the more
we document and think out loud as we do this, the easier writing that
tutorial will be) but if we know those steps, it seems to me that the
first thing to do would be to fill them in on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design_Suite#Upcoming_milestones so we
know how close we are to completion at any given point in time.

--Mel