[Design-team] Feedback for backgrounds

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:54:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 09:20 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 07/29/2009 06:32 PM, Steven Moix wrote:
> > As Nicu requested on his blog [1], I'm providing my very own personal
> > feedback about the wallpapers displayed on [2]. I'll give my top 5 (in
> > no particular order) with comments:
>
> Thanks Steven for starting the ball rolling on this. There is also some
> (not much, I am not that popular) feedback gathering on my blog comments:
> http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2009/07/artwork-for-fedora-12-alpha.html

Ok, throwing in my towel as well.

      * Bridge Sea Moon by bioinfornatics -- interesting concept, pretty
        awesome blender work, but distorted and too complex for default
        wallpaper
      * (four foundations) mosaic by tatica -- closest to our original
        idea of doing something abstract. Also it is a very solid base
        and can be expanded a lot during the process, we can even
        deviate a bit from the tiled mosaic. IMHO best candidate for
        going with as default. Of course, we need to make sure the
        mosaic does not clash with icons.
      * Pruebas by tatica -- too little contrast, foggy, dark, very
        interesting concept, but not good for default (too complex).
        But, we should perhaps consider it for the 4 supplementary
        wallpapers
      * cubes mosaic by ainzinga -- frankly I don't like this one, looks
        more like a mess made of paper squares than mosaic to me. Also
        in the current installment it's too bright and too blurry
      * Wallpaper mosaica by mythcat -- the texture is too strong and
        contrastive, the colours feel bland, but interesting concept
      * mosaic by brejc8 -- reminds me of the Gears proposal from F10
        theming contest... the white background would be a real eyesore
        on desktop, but the concept is IMHO good
      * various wallpapers by by Jayme Ayres -- generally an interesting
        approach, perhaps some of these would be good candidates for the
        4 supplementary wallpapers
      * 4flowers and 4horses by Samuele Storari -- awesome, too complex
        for default, but very good candidate for the 4 supplementary
        wallpapers
      * underwater mosaic by Mo and Nicu -- really great photo manip,
        needs still a lot of work, but definitely a candidate for
        default

In short:
      * good candidates for default wallpaper (IMHO):
              * (four foundations )mosaic by tatica
              * underwater mosaic by Mo and Nicu
      * good candidates for the 4 supplementary wallpapers (IMHO):
              * pruebas by tatica
              * mosaic by brejc8
              * 4flowers and 4horses by Samuele
              * Fedora-wall-jayme-VII

Note that we should also discuss what to put into the package for Alpha
and how (will we ship [in Alpha] all the wallpapers as one slide-show,
or separately, or a combination of these? Will we ship [in Alpha] all
the submitted concepts, or make a narrower selection?)

Martin