[Design-team] Fedora UX design

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 07:57:09 UTC 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010 04:25:59 am Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 06:25 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > "we work together". Really, the description is necessarily a bit fuzzy,
> > since the collaboration between various involved groups (fedora
> > designers, desktop team, upstreams) is a fluid process. And I would
> > argue that it is good to leave things on this level. Unless you want to
> > follow the Ubuntu model where the Canonical design team is calling the
> > shots behind closed doors...
>
> On the contrary,  that sort of thing is precisely what I am trying to
> avoid and ensure that we have thought about this in length.  If the
> responsibilities are defined clearly, we set the expectations
> accordingly and if we commit ourselves explicitly to work on a
> collaborative way, we can expect the community to hold us accountable
> for that.  So  I would like to see the document to a bit more explicit
> about the process that we are trying to follow even if is a fluid one,
> say so!
>
> > It has rarely been the case in the past that the design team has
> > proposed changes 'spontaneously'. Most cases that I have been involved
> > in have started with a request for design advice from the other side.
> >
> > Maybe this is something that we should consider changing. I think it
> > could be interesting to have 'UX focus areas' for a release. E.g. we
> > could declare F14 to be the 'release where we examine and improve the
> > printing experience', and organize UI reviews/papercut sessions around
> > that topic. Of course, this requires buy-in from the maintainers and
> > developers of affected packages.
>
> Yes.  I would like to see the design team focus beyond themes, more into
> these sort of broader changes, working with the Desktop SIG (Not that it
> isn't already happening)

Hi Rahul,
this shouldn't be limited by "Desktop SIG" only, there are other teams over
there - already mentioned Anaconda, we (system configuration tools) etc... So
instead of mentioning Desktop SIG I would use Fedora sub-projects - this of
course means broader collaboration - project, UX team, destkop team and input
from other (possibly) affected teams.

But yes - it should go beyond wallpaper, splashes and marketing banners -
maybe more consistency over releases would allow design team (and me too) do
more work. But on the other side - I like new visual experience (and really
very different every release). The dark side - I don't have time to follow it
in KDE everywhere I'd like to see (e.g Plasma theme).

Jaroslav