[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 14:31:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 15:59 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 12/17/2010 03:40 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:

> >> Can you name at least one other *relevant* distro that will use the same
> >> background as default? Especially if they know this may be *our* default?
> >
> > I'll certainly talk to the OpenSuSE and Debian GNOME maintainers and try
> > to make convince them to make the same choice. I'm much more likely to
> > succeed in that request if I have the support of the Fedora design team
> > already lined up. And I really don't think how we configure our desktop
> > should be held hostage to getting Debian to do the same thing. Fedora
> > should be a leader here in working well with upstream.
>
> With that you just invalidated your point above about "trying to provide
> a single look for the GNOME 3 release rather than a series of looks",
> all this "using the upstream" make sense *only* if everybody that
> matters is doing it.

The first two looks that I want to coordinate are the look of upstream -
the look we are going to feature on gnome3.org when that launches. And
the look of the distribution I care most about: Fedora. Hopefully that
will provide a good basis to get other distributions to take take same
approach, but I simply don't have a lot of influence over what Debian
does.

> > My proposal is is straightforward:
> >
> >    Once you select a user and log in to GNOME, you get the GNOME default
> >    background. All other artwork follows normal Fedora procedures.
>
> So by default I get a GDM with vertical stripes and when choosing
> anything else than GNOME Shell (be it the classic panel or Xfce), the
> background image will change, while if I go to use the Shell, the
> background stays consistent? That's treating everything else as
> second-class.

Please reread what I wrote.

(Note that the fallback mode of GNOME 3 which uses gnome-panel and
metacity uses all the same components and configuration for background
selection and display as the normal mode will have the same background.)

- Owen