[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri Dec 17 13:59:32 UTC 2010

On 12/17/2010 03:40 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 09:10 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> On 12/17/2010 01:54 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to be clear that this is not in any way saying that we don't like
>>> the Fedora backgrounds ... the recent Fedora backgrounds are great, and
>>> keep on getting cleaner and more professional looking every release. The
>>> issue is rather a question of trying to provide a single look for the
>>> GNOME 3 release rather than a series of looks, one per distribution.
>>
>> Can you name at least one other *relevant* distro that will use the same
>> background as default? Especially if they know this may be *our* default?
>
> I'll certainly talk to the OpenSuSE and Debian GNOME maintainers and try
> to make convince them to make the same choice. I'm much more likely to
> succeed in that request if I have the support of the Fedora design team
> already lined up. And I really don't think how we configure our desktop
> should be held hostage to getting Debian to do the same thing. Fedora
> should be a leader here in working well with upstream.

With that you just invalidated your point above about "trying to provide
a single look for the GNOME 3 release rather than a series of looks",
all this "using the upstream" make sense *only* if everybody that
matters is doing it.

> My proposal is is straightforward:
>
>    Once you select a user and log in to GNOME, you get the GNOME default
>    background. All other artwork follows normal Fedora procedures.

So by default I get a GDM with vertical stripes and when choosing
anything else than GNOME Shell (be it the classic panel or Xfce), the
background image will change, while if I go to use the Shell, the
background stays consistent? That's treating everything else as
second-class.

> While there are some mockups about how we'd like GDM to look like to
> match the rest of GNOME 3 (See
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-design/plain/mockups/static/user-selector.png
> ) they aren't going to be implemented in this cycle, so there's already
> a visual transition between the login screen and the desktop.

So we make so much noise for an incomplete desktop. It look to me like
GNOME 3 is not ready enough to receive such strong promotion.