[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Fabian A. Scherschel fab at sixgun.org
Fri Dec 17 22:30:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com> wrote:

> Our general approach with the GNOME components in Fedora is to work
> upstream whenever possible. It's very seldom that there's a change that
> makes sense in Fedora that doesn't make sense upstream. So we try to
> just do the change upstream.
>
> I think we'd see the art the same way; if the icons can be improved, if
> we can do a more attractive widget theme, then we should do that for
> GNOME.

I appreciate what you are trying to do here, but to be honest, if I had
wanted to work on the Gnome 3 look and feel I had joined the Gnome Design
Team. As it stands, I have chosen to work on Fedora's design and you can't
deny that you are trying to substantially neuter the impact of our team and
of Fedora branding as a whole here...

> So, I guess we haven't necessarily seen the need for a big process to
> design artwork for GNOME 3 in Fedora 15 that is separate from the normal
> flow to design artwork for GNOME 3. The GNOME artists are very friendly
> and open to people getting involved. You can find them on #gnome-art and
> #gnome-design on GimpNet.
>
> Obviously, there's work to be done to coordinate the user experience for
> GNOME 3 and Fedora and make it fit together - at every level from how
> the websites interact on down. There's still a few months to make that
> happen.

So I guess what you're saying is that wallpapers should be upstream from now
on and we should divert our attention elsewhere?

Fab