[Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

Fedora & OpenSource twohotis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 07:27:20 UTC 2010

From: "Nicu Buculei" <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>
To: "Fedora Design Team" <design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Design-team] GNOME background in Fedora 15

> On 12/20/2010 09:18 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> That's continuity within a release, yes. What I'm saying is that there's
>> very little continuity of the artwork from release to release *other*
>> than
>> the color; some are more abstract, some are less, some are sharper (like
>> F-14), some are more soft-focus (like F-13).
>
> We owe a lot of thanks for this to our friends is the RHDT who killed
> identity projects like Nodoka and Echo and now will completely change
> the desktop theme to a dark one with F15.

While I'm unaware of the catalysts behind the unpopularity of those
projects, I certainly agree that they are not in the list of most people's
favourites.  One of the first things I do when I install Fedora is to change
the Icon theme to either Elemetary or Buuf (well, buuf tends towards Ubuntu
but its quality is outstanding ... so I endure the colour differences).  Now
with F15 shipping with predominantly black UI, as seen on the
Gnome-Shell/GDM mockups, those themes will drop further down the list.  I
don't see them blending into the new graphics and that worries me.

If Fedora is defaulting to Gnome3 on F15, then I think we need to pay
attention to a befitting Icon them project.  I still think that area will
score of huge points if we put in the same kind of energy we spend on
wallpaper designs --- without deterring from the Wallpaper design
traditions. I'll test-run the Gnome-shell with the Echo theme and see how
that works out.

>> What I intended to say is that given that, I would think that a random
>> outside observer could look at *any* distro that has a blue,
>> non-photograph
>> background, and think "hm, must be Fedora", unless they already know
>> which
>> sort of blue backgrounds Fedora has chosen.
>
> It would give me a warm smile seeing this happening.

+1 to that.