[Design-team] Fedora Branding Fonts

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 2 19:48:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 19:17 +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> Máirín,
>
>  I'm not quite sure on what you mean with accents. They seem to work
> properly for me, I mean even in latin words which are full of them. I
> actually have MgOpen Modata as my default font for my GNOME theme and
> I've never identified any problem beyond the €.
>
>  The description says: "The MgOpen fonts are a font family that includes
> Latin and Greek glyphs." > the accents are widely used in latin
> languages like spanish and portuguese.
>
>  In attachment. The only problem I've actually seen on MgOpen Modata was
> that it's lacking some symbols, amongst them the Euro (€) sign. The
> accents seem to work.

If I write 'Máirín' in MgOpen Modata, the á and í print out, but not in
the MgOpen Modata letterforms. Instead the font system falls back to
DejaVu (I believe, could be another fallback font but looks like DejaVu
to me).

If you can produce acute accent marks in Modata can you send a (bitmap)
screenshot? The SVG you attached, rendering on my screen, has mismatched
letterforms for the accented characters. Attached is a screenshot of its
rendering. I added the Modata 'a' and 'i' underneath the accented 'á'
and 'í' so you can see the difference in letterforms.