[Design-team] 13 Jul 2010 Design team meeting summary

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 14 07:18:54 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 12:16 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> 1 - Fedora 14 Wallpaper Concept
> ===============================
>
> NEED FEEDBACK
>
> Well, kick ass, we have an awesome wallpaper concept we agreed on last
> week! But we've nary heard a peep in feedback on it! Whoops. We didn't
> blog it to solicit feedback, nor did we reach out in other venues. Eek.
>
> To remedy this:
> - KyleBaker put together a wiki page to collect feedback:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F14_Artwork_Feedback
> - Mizmo will write a blog post advertising the new theme selection and
> asking for feedback

Call for feedback along with the above links also in FWN:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Beats/Design

Advertised in FWN too: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Beats/Design

> 2 - New Fedora fonts
> ====================
>
> We're still testing out Comfortaa and waiting for Johan to change the
> license. In the meantime, let's identify any missing glyphs in our
> respective languages to point them out.
>
> We talked about Cantarell vs Droid Sans for the body text font. A number
> of us agreed we like Cantarell better because it's more unique and
> because Dave used FLOSS to create it.
>
> - tomorrow nicubunu will send an email with the codes and info for
> missing glyphs (ș and ț)

Those are my problems with Cantarell:
- "Ș", unicode name: "Latin capital letter S with comma below", code:
"0218", glyph name: "Scommaaccent";
- "ș", unicode name: "Latin small letter S with comma below", code:
"0219", glyph name: "scommaaccent";
- "Ț", unicode name: "Latin capital letter T with comma below", code:
"021A", glyph name: "uni021A";
- "ț", unicode name: "Latin small letter T with comma below", code:
"021B", glyph name: "uni021B".

The easiest way to cerate those glyphs is to combine S, s, T, t with
uni0326, "Combining comma bellow", which is also missing from the font.

> - nicubunu identified a bug with unsetting bold using Cantarell in
> Inkscape. Luya pointed out a workaround - ctrl+shift+T.

Confirmed as an Inkcape bug, it works for me in GIMP. However, the
workaround does not work for me: ctrl+shift+T brings the text dialog
where i can select medium weight but when pressing the Apply button it
jump back to bold.

> - nicubunu to contact Dave Crossland re missing ș and ț in Cantarell

This is next on my agenda.